Monday, October 16

Kevin Phillips: American Theocracy




"This is No Love Song" originally uploaded to Flickr by Tal Bright (thank you, Tal)

I just heard the segment on Alternative Radio ... an interview with Kevin Phillips, author of the book, American Theocracy: The Peril and Politics of Radical Religion, Oil, and Borrowed Money in the 21st Century ... my radio kept cutting in and out (it's snowing today - always screws up public radio reception) so I logged onto alternativeradio.org hoping to be able to listen to the rest of the segment or at least read the transcripts. Too bad for me -- along with millions of others living with limited budgets -- Alternative Radio charges for everything but a handful of older programs. I could find no way to listen to their interview online w/o having to whip out my credit card. So I googled Kevin Phillips American Theocracy and found that (bless her) Amy Goodman had interviewed Phillips in March '06. And of course, the transcript, video and podcast are all free.***

Everybody should listen to this or read it no matter what "side" you're on, no matter who you voted for in 2004 or plan to vote for this year .... What Phillips is saying is extremely worrisome to me. I worry about what life will be like for our children and grandchildren in just a few years. The scariest thing for me is what a total DUNCE we have for a president -- but of course, I knew that! I cannot believe this country actually elected this man as president. Actually we didn't elect him. The Supreme Court elected him.

*** Transcripts from Democracy Now are available free of charge. However, donations help them provide closed captioning for the deaf and hard of hearing on their TV broadcast. Please consider contributing to an excellent alternative source of news -- Democracy Now. (thanks, Amy!)

3 Comments:

Bitterroot said...

Thanks for the link, M. From listening to the podcast some months ago, I know this guy is great.

rel said...

Maureen,
Hi, my name is Bob, More commonly know as rel.

I've been by a few times in the past and thought it was time to put a comment down.
I enjoy your take on life and your philosophy.

And,
I'm happy to make your acquaintance,
rel

Meg said...

Bless you for posting Amy Goodman's link.
Meg, all the way from New Zealand