Saturday, July 28

Meriwether Fire Makes Its' Own Weather

I know that in many places all over the globe wildfires are burning places that are dry as a bone because of years and years of drought. Montana is one of those places. In some parts of the world, heavy rains after long drought have encouraged vast amounts of plant growth -- only creating more fuel for the fires to devour when the land does dry up again as it has in Montana. So, I know we are not alone in living with wildfire almost every summer. Though it is hard to breath some days, and the smoke makes our eyes sting, I feel grateful that our home is not threatened. And grateful to be alive. Never take our lives for granted!

Today this truly gigantic cloud formed over the Meriwether Fire in the mountains north of Helena. Thereis NO way I can capture the enormity of this cloud formation in a photograph. It towered over the city of Helena and over our valley. You can see the mountain ridgeline at the bottom left of this photo. This cloud was mostly smoke from the fire.

What's really incredible to me is that just yesterday, we couldn't see more than a few blocks in town and today, the air was much clearer, though just half hour after I shot this photo, the billowy "softness" had dispersed and the cloud was just an ordinary thick haze of hazardous smoke again.

Worth viewing Large on Black background

2 Comments:

Bitterroot said...

Oh M, I am watching this Meriweather wildfire every day. It grows all the time. What's happening in Montana is relentless. I'm praying for rain for you and all living things there...we need it too...

Unknown said...

That is an amazing shot. I just learned while viewing a major fire near Lake Chelan in Washington that not only did the fire make its own weather but that it may have produced lightning that sparked a second, lesser fire. That is amazing to me.
Hope the fire seasons ends soon for all of our forests!