Monday, February 19

Monastic Help Desk

This is so funny we both watched it through a couple of times (well, Tim watched it a couple times. I have to confess I watched it at least 10 times -- and laughed my ass off every time) So I'm tellin you this little video is worth it if you like to laugh.

Was sent to me by a friend with a note saying, "Maureen, this is what it's like trying to explain techie things to you." Hmph!

Here's the blurb that was on the YouTube site:

This video makes fun of moderns newbie computer users by illustrating - in a way fully understandable to them - how silly some of their questions are by creating a similar problem 500 years ago.

It's from a show called Øystein & Meg (Øystein & I) produced by the Norwegian Broadcasting television channel (NRK) in 2001. The spoken language is Norwegian, (the original subs were in Danish but those have been changed to English.) It's written by Knut Nærum and performed by Øystein Bache and Rune Gokstad.


6 Comments:

Patia said...

That's great, thanks!

("Snap. Queued for capture. Check back shortly." What ARE these things?!?)

Maureen said...

Hey, Patia, sorry if the snap previews are irritating.... you can ignore them if you want (hopefully) The little preview boxes are meant to give web users a idea of a link is before they actually click the link - which is supposed to save us from going to links we didn't really want to go to. Or something like that.

Wordpress paired up with this SnapPreview company and now everyone who has a WordPress blog can automatically opt in to the SnapPreview thing. I don't use wordpress, obviously (thought I might switch if I ever have the time to learn how to customize with wordpress!) so I had to put Snap Preview in my blog html manually. I'm a little slow on the uptake when it comes to html, so there are a few problems with mine. Anyway, it's in the beta stages and I am working out the bugs on my blog at the same time the Snap company is working on improving their thing.

Here's a link. I think it's a pretty cool thing - but it needs to be tweaked to make it work faster and better.

glad you liked the video. did you laugh? ;-)

Tammy Brierly said...

This was too funny!

Patia said...

Yes, I laughed!

Mmm, thanks for explaining the Snap Preview things. I keep running into them everywhere. I don't like them, personally, but maybe it's just me. I think I read something recently about a Firefox plug-in that disables them. Off to check ....o

Patia said...

Ah, never mind, I just found the disable option.

Meg said...

I've had my stint on the IT Help Desk, in two countries, and I hate to say that this user appears to be a moderately educated user, whereas some of my users were plain silly or, dare I say, unplugged. My users, though, probably had less faith in the system as a whole.