Monday, January 15

Gabe introduced me to Ben Harper

I have my son, Gabe, to thank for introducing me to Ben Harper's music. I have heard it said about Ben that when he performs in concert, his chair is always set left of center on the stage ... because he leaves "room" for the spirits of the people who inspired, influenced and taught his what he knows. That is so cool. It's like in many traditions, leaving an empty chair at the table or in the circle, to honor and acknowledge those who have come before us, who have nurtured and led us to where we are.


Gabe & Brent playing at the Harbingerous Happening,
originally uploaded by skuz.
(photo by Aaron Rogosin)
Well, thanks, Gabe for leading me to Ben Harper (along with all the many other musicians you've turned me on to over the years)
Ben Harper's raspy voice sometimes whispers sweetly sometimes stretches out to a tremulous wail. Tender or strong. Always powerful. I love his acoustic pieces best -- especially when he slows down, almost stops or does stop, punctuating and emphasizing the heartfulness of his lyrics. He is proficient on a number of instruments. I particularly like his acoustic guitar.

Though Harper often plays alone, when he plays with his band, Innocent Criminals, they combine a variety of musical styles into a style that's almost impossible to pin down. Blues, funk, Latin, hip hop, folk, rock, African beat, jazz -- so versatile! I could listen to Ben Harper all day and not get tired of hearing his voice. his stories. the feelings.




Waiting on an Angel

Waiting on an angel
One to carry me home
Hope you come to see me soon
Cause I don't want to go alone
I don't want to go alone

Now angel won't you come by me
Angel hear my plea
Take my hand lift me up
So that I can fly with thee
So that I can fly with thee

And I'm waiting on an angel
And I know it wont be long
To find myself a resting place
In my angels arms
In my angels arms

So speak kind to a stranger
Cause you never know
It just might be an angel come
Knockin' at your door
Knockin' at your door

And I'm waiting on an angel
And I know it won't be long
To find myself a resting place
In my angels arms
In my angels arms

Waiting on an angel
One to carry me home
Hope you come to see me soon
Cause I don't want to go alone
I dont want to go alone
Don't want to go
I don't want to go alone
Copyright by Ben Harper, included on the album, "Welcome to the Cruel World'


Harper also recorded with The Blind Boys. Check out I Shall Not Walk Alone

Or listen to There Will Be a Light on my Martin Luther King Day post earlier today.

To play any of these clips, click the left arrow inside the button. Volume control is a slider near the right side of the button.

4 Comments:

Tammy Brierly said...

Thank you, thank you for this voice of an angel! Little Nikki(white maltese, 9) had a biopsy today and this soothed my soul!

Maureen said...

I hope Nikki is okay ... when will you learn the results of the biopsy, Tammy? I am taking care of one of our old kitties, Sadie ... she is very close to dying and it's really sad for me. But she still purrs loudly when I sit by her, or hold her, or stroke her head between the ears. She isn't suffering so much, just very very weak and fading fast.

I love this song, Waiting for an Angel. It makes me feel on so many levels. I'm glad you like it too. Be well, Tammy.
maureen

Kay Cooke said...

My sons introduced us to Ben Harper too! We have the Blind Boys cd with him singing on it. Jack Johnson is another musician we were introduced to as well.
Ben Harper has been kind of 'adopted' by NZ. He often visits here.

Anonymous said...

"Waiting on an angel" is one of my favorite as well! I first went to a Ben Harper concert in 1996 in Bordeaux France.(He has started here). We met him at the hotel (we waited (?) 4 hours -like teenagers!)I wanted to show him my music (he he) He is a very wise person and on stage he looks taller than he is in reality, he looks like if he was "transcendented?". Excuse me for my bad english, I'm french, connected to Montana coz we bought a land last year near Columbus . I visit your blog often, (you are in my favorites).