Thursday, March 24

Wow! This mathematical drawing tool -- complexification --is amazing! Check out the whole Gallery of Computation. Most of the Living Works have several applets you can click to get a randomly/mathematically/algorithmically generated -- beautiful! -- drawing/graph/art piece.

I really like this one, called Substrate, because of it's complexity and it's similarity to growth patterns of cities. Beautiful! Jared Tarbell, the programmer and web author, writes about this city-like pattern:

The simple rule, the complex results, the enormous potential for modification; this has got to be one of my all time favorite self-discovered algorithms. Lines likes crystals grow on a computational substrate. A simple perpendicular growth rule creates intricate city-like structures.
This website will take some exploring.

2 Comments:

Skuz said...

wow, those are incredible, I really like the substrate too. It randomly generates a cubist painting, complete with receding shading to blur planes, holy shit is it cool.
definitely reminds me of some of the understandings I have come to about how nature arranges itself while heavily under the influence of nature itself.

Maureen said...

hmmm, heavily under the influence of nature itself...
I've been there since
the moment I was conceived
Or breathed my first breath
Or took my first toke
Or saw my first token sunrise