Thursday, May 14

Sam's last road trip


Sam's last road trip, originally uploaded by Maureen Shaughnessy

March 1989 - May 2009
his spirit has gone to the Light ...



Sam went with us to the high desert in Utah last week ... we knew he was very close to dying yet we could not bear to leave him, so we took him to see our teacher, Brant Secunda, one last time. Brant gave Sam a blessing on Wednesday at midnight.

Sam's spirit left his body at 10:00 Thursday morning. As he breathed his last breaths, I lay on the floor next to Sam, my face just inches away from his eyes: he looked at me til the very end. Tim had his hand on Sam's heart and we both told him over and over that it was okay to leave ... that he had been the best pup ever and that we loved him more than anything.

the last thing he knew was the sound of our voices and the touch of our hands stroking his head, gently scratching behind his good ear and touching his heart.

Sam died peacefully and naturally
surrounded by our love...

I miss him so much. My heart has a hole now. Yet I know he is in a good place.

I took this last photo of Sam sleeping on the back seat of our car on the way down to Zion, Utah. His face was so white!


Go to the Light, Sam, go to the Light like an arrow

.
.
.
.
.

I will write more later when I can.

13 Comments:

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

....

JGG said...

I have been following Sam's journey for the past two years. Thank you for sharing. God Bless you all.
Judy
New Freedom, PA

Claire said...

I'm so sorry! What a beautiful face he had.

Scott W said...

What a sweet, sweet face.

I just spoke with Chester and asked he and his posse go to the Rainbow Bridge to welcome Sam.

They bring us such joy, life just isn't the same when they leave.

Brenda said...

Maureen,

Sam was very lucky to have such loving and caring people as you and your family. I've looked through your Flickr pictures of him many times and they always bring happiness to my day.

I'm sending you hugs via cyberspace.

Brenda

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hi Maureen,

I so sorry to hear about Sam! Hey he made it to 20 how proud you must be! Aren't they just the most innocent and exordinare of creatures, I swear they are part human!

Surely can relate missing Delilah so much! I wish she could have died at home, but she was too ill and I couldn't let her suffer. Delilah was beautiful to the end just like your beloved Sam! I cried reading your post, knowing all the mutual love that is shared
between dogs and humans. It was for me like burying my child!

Sam was very special and was lucky to have you to document his beautiful life! Thanks for sharing and take care!

Shivani said...

Happened to come across your blog today. So beautiful....

May you have the strength of love to accept the change of music with time ...

liz elayne lamoreux said...

dear girl,
i am so sorry to read this. sending you peace...
sam was a wonderful friend and light in this world.

blessings,
liz

Unknown said...

We took our Nala for her last walk more han two years ago, she was 12 and had to stop often. The next day we all went ot school and work not expecting that to be the last day. But it was - she waited for us to come home, we held her and pet her and told her it was okay. She is buried in our front yard, I visit her often there and in my heart. I understand the hole...it is still there.

EJ said...

Sam seems to have had a great life, 20 years of real dog goodness. You were fortunate to have him, as he was fortunate to have you.
So sorry for your loss.

Ann said...

As a dog lover I certainly know how you feel. It brought tears to my eyes reading your post. Sam looked so beautiful and peaceful.

sonia a. mascaro said...

I am so sorry... What a lovely face... he looks adorable!

Unknown said...

Poor Sam! so sad, but at least he had all of you around him when he passed! http://www.onlineplantnursery.com/