Sunday, June 25

Healing the Mare ... an echo


Healing the Mare
Originally uploaded by MontanaRaven.

I made this to illustrate my response to this poignant poem written by Linda McCarriston:

Healing The Mare

Just days after the vet came,
after the steroids that took
the fire out of the festering
sores--out of the flesh that in
the heat took the stings too
seriously and swelled into great
welts, wore thin and wept, calling
more loudly out to the green-
headed flies - I bathe you
and see your coat returning,
your deep force surfacing in a
new layer of hide: black wax
alive against weather and flies.

But this morning, misshapen
still, you look like an effigy,
something rudely made, something
made to be buffeted, or like
an old comforter - are they both
one in the end? So both a child

and a mother, with my sponge and
my bucket, I come to anoint, to
anneal the still weeping, to croon
to you baby poor baby for the sake
of the song, to polish you up,
for the sake of the touch, to a shine.

As I soothe you I surprise wounds
of my own this long time unmothered.

As you stand, scathed and scabbed,
with your head up, I swab. As you
press, I lean into my own loving
touch, for which no wound
is too ugly.


-- copyright by Linda McCarriston
Posted with the author's permission



For more poetry and articles written by Linda McCarriston, please read the interview by Bill Moyers with Linda McCarriston or read her article in Sojourners Magazine

0 Comments: